Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Goodbye Harry Potter


I was reading the Harry Potter series for the first time and for me the end of the series was kind of like a break up.  I was so terribly sad that the books were over and that I would no longer have this fantasy world to come to.  My favorite part about the end of the series was that it was a fairly happy ending.  Mostly everyone was able to make it out alive; expect for Dobby and Fred.  I liked the fact that she ended the series with Harry still being alive. I think that if she were to kill Harry it would be killing the hope that maybe someday she will write another book.  Maybe a series about Harry’s kids going to Hogwarts?  What was problematic to me was that she killed Dobby.  Dobby represented innocence to me and it was kind of like killing a child.  My feeling toward Snape differently changed at the end.  I was one of those people that were always rooting for him and to find out that he was a good guy because of his love for lily was extremely shocking to me.  I was hoping that he would be a good guy because he wanted to protect Harry, not to avenge lily.  Dumbledore also had some shocking twists and turns at the end.  But at the same time he was doing what he was always doing asking too much of Harry.  If I were to place the series in a larger social context I would say that the series reflect growing up of almost everyone. Even though there were fantasy elements in the book they still reflected the normal trials that kids go through growing up. Voldermort could be the bully in a high school and Snape could be that chemistry teacher that is so mean.  Harry could be the awkward new kid, and Dumbledore could be the role model that everyone needed.  The series was interesting with all of the twists, turns, and magic, but at the same time it read as a tale of adolescents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment