Friday, June 3, 2011

Blog Post 3

I’ve been an avid reader of the Harry Potter series since elementary school. When the final book came out, it was a very bittersweet experience – I was excited for things to finally be answered (I was a believer in the theory that Harry’s scar was a horcrux, that R.A.B. was Regulus, and that Severus was always on the good side) and to be validated in my beliefs. At the same time, I would have sacrificed that certainty and righteous arrogance for the series to keep on. There has never been a literary series, or a movie, television series, video game, or anything that affected me as much as Harry Potter, or that I’ve been obsessed with for such a long time.

My favorite moments in the Deathly Hallows were those that proved that Snape and Lily were at least somewhat canon. I had always liked the idea of it, even believed that it was a distinct possibility, but I didn’t actually expect it to be blatantly out there. Also, I was very excited that they had known each other even before Hogwarts. I also enjoyed getting to know Regulus a bit more, being a fan of the Black family and minor death eaters. Overall, I enjoyed the very dark atmosphere that hasn’t quite been achieved in preceding books.

My feelings about Severus never changed – he has always been one of my favorites, I always believed he was on the good side, and I always felt bad for him having such a crappy life. My feelings on Dumbledore, did, however, change! I always liked the idea of Grindelwald and Albus, but as some sort of crackship that I never expected to actually have happened. When we found out that Dumbledore was gay and in love with Grindelwald, I was so excited. In the Deathly Hallows, we learn that Dumbledore had quite the dark side, that his past was quite troubled, and these imperfections (along with his relationship with Gellert) made me much more invested in his character. Before, I liked him as an eccentric old wizard cliché, but once his imperfections came to light I was much more able to relate to him and appreciate him more as a character.

My feelings on the trio haven’t changed too much. I’ve had periods in which I hated Harry, but I think I’ve largely gotten over it and sort of like him now. Ron has always irritated me, and the Deathly Hallows didn’t change that. Of the three, Hermione has always been my favorite, and pretty awesome.

I believe the Harry Potter series is going to be one that is remembered and considered one of the best fantasy literary series. Although there are contemporaries who disagree at this point, in a few generations it’s likely to be a series that is remembered fondly and endures in its popularity, ala Lord of the Rings. It will not be a series that will fade into obscurity due to later generations being unable to relate, as the themes of Harry Potter are those that are eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment